Resources for Entrepreneurs
The Library has information to help you start or grow your business.
Free access to online tools, 24/7
- A to Z databases: includes 30 million business profiles and 220 million residents. Ideal for sales leads, mailing lists, market research, employment opportunities, finding friends and relatives and much more.
- Business Insights: Essentials: detailed company and industry profiles including SWOT reports, market share reports, and financial reports, thousands of company histories and industry essays from Gale's core business collection, and deep research coverage with scholarly journals, business news, and more.
- Business Source Premier: full text for more than 1,120 business publications.
- Morningstar: stock and mutual fund quotes, research reports and tools for making better investing and 401k decisions.
- Regional Business News: comprehensive full text coverage for regional business publications.
- ValueLine: full-page, individual stock reports encapsulating the company's past performance, current status, and outlook and industry reviews, along with Value Line's views on the economy and the stock market and on stocks of special interest.
Search for books
Useful Government Sites for Small Business
- IRS: starting a business: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed
- Census Business Builder: Small Business Edition: https://www.census.gov/data/data-tools/cbb.html
- Iowa Office of the Small Business Association: https://www.sba.gov/offices/district/ia/des-moines
- Iowa Secretary of State, click on Business Services: https://sos.iowa.gov/
- Quad Cities Chamber of Commerce Business Development Services: https://www.quadcitieschamber.com/businessdevelopmentservices
- Quad Cities SCORE chapter: https://quadcities.score.org/
- Eastern Iowa Small Business Development Center: http://www.iowasbdc.org/
- Iowa Center for Industrial Research and Service (CIRAS): http://www.ciras.iastate.edu/